An extensible, hierarchical, and pluggable navigation system for Django sites.
django-treenav was designed from the start to live independent of a CMS implementation. As a separate application, treenav can easily be integrated into existing, custom setups and does not enforce or require users to use a particular content management system.
Sharing the same principles, django-pagelets integrates seamlessly with treenav and can be used together to create a flexible CMS product.
For complete documentation checkout, http://django-treenav.readthedocs.org
- Generic functionality with multiple URL specifications: get_absolute_url(), reverse(), or raw URLs
- Packaged with templates to render the tree hierarchy with nested <ul>‘s, but can easily be overridden with custom templates
- Useful CSS classes for flexible UI customization
- Automatically sets “active” on item and item’s parents if PATH_INFO is equal to item.href
- Efficient: minimizes database access with django-mptt functionality
- Caches the tree so that repeated page views to not hit the database.
- Simple links in the MenuItem list view for refreshing the cache and href from the database.
Using the demo¶
For a quick demo, follow these steps:
$ mkvirtualenv --distribute --no-site-packages django-treenav (django-treenav)$ git clone git://github.com/caktus/django-treenav.git (django-treenav)$ cd django-treenav/ (django-treenav)~/django-treenav$ python setup.py develop (django-treenav)~/django-treenav$ cd sample_project/ (django-treenav)~/django-treenav/sample_project$ pip install -r requirements.txt (django-treenav)~/django-treenav/sample_project$ ./manage.py syncdb (django-treenav)~/django-treenav/sample_project$ ./manage.py runserver
Visit http://localhost:8000/ in your browser and follow the instructions.
Install the app with pip:
pip install django-treenav
Add to your INSTALLED_APPS and run syncdb:
INSTALLED_APPS = ( ..., 'mptt', 'treenav', )
Include these context processors:
TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS = ( "django.core.context_processors.request", "treenav.context_processors.treenav_active", )
Add these urls:
urlpatterns = patterns('', (r'^treenav/', include('treenav.urls')), )
Development sponsored by Caktus Consulting Group, LLC.